Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Free Fon Router Headache

At first I was very excited when FON announced a *FREE* Fon router. (I think this offer is expired now though.)

The offer was for people who lived near a Starbucks or competing cafe or public venue. Since I live near a bench where people hangout and also a bar I decided hey might as well try and snag up one. Sure enough Fon sent me a router. However, that is when the fun just began. I tried contacting Fon several times via email asking for tracking information since i never received my router. Each time I sent an email asking for help with a tacking number I would be sent instructions on how to plug in my router. It was very frustrating for me to go nowhere with locating the package. Finally three or four months later Fon finally responds to an email with tracking information. The status of the package was showing the package as "delivered". However, the persons name who accepted the package was nobody I knew. I even asked the super if he knew the person and he had not a clue. I called FedEx and they setup an investigation. I figured I would not hear back from them. A few days later on a Saturday I was awoken to someone ringing my doorbell. Since it was to early I ignored the ringing doorbell. I went outside and saw a note on the front-door with the FedEx drivers cellphone number instructing me to call him. I called the driver and found out that he (the normally scheduled driver) was on vacation or something the day the package was delivered. Usually FedEx would leave the package with the superintendents office. The person taking his place deiced to leave the package with just anybody. I found it interesting the normally scheduled driver found the package. However, it was delivered to a storefront down the street. They decided to open it and attempt to use my router not even looking to see who the router was addressed to. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe it is a federal offense to steal someone else's mail. I was given two choices: A) Accept the package as is opened or B) To complain further because it was FEdEx's fault and seek a new router. Since I received the router for free I did not want to escalate the matter. I also want to continue to have a good relationship with FedEx. The driver amazed me with actually finding the router three or four months later after the fact. However, I did learn that the package was missing the installation disk. (Which is downloadable online.) The other problem I have is it does not work to well with Apple. I have not been able to get it to work. Tech support has been nonexistent. The email support just recommends all the information I was able to find online. There is no number to call them for help.
Any windows users want a free router?

1 comment:

Justin said...

try ebaying it... or giving it to me. Either way :-)